Summer vacation is just around the corner. It may not feel like it with the weather we’ve had this week, but most schools have just about a month left. This means the kids will be looking to fill their time. Keep your family protected with parental controls. While Great Plains Communications knows that no system can take the place of monitoring what media your kids consume, parental controls can make it a lot easier. This is an easy way to make sure that kids aren’t exposed to mature programming, or even the titles. When a program or channel is blocked, the user must enter a 4-digit pin to access the channel. That way, you can still enjoy all programming, but in a secure way.
These controls are set up right through your remote and are very easy to configure. Blocks can be set by channel, rating, or even specific show titles. The control is in your hands.
Here are the steps to setting up parental controls:
- Press the Menu key on your remote
- Select the Home Icon
- Select Setup
- Then select Locks Setup
- Once you are in the Locks Setup screen, you will be asked to choose a 4-digit pin.
- Once your pin has been selected, you will be given the following options:
- TV Rating – Blocking by TV Rating. *Note that you must block every rating you wish to control. This means if you block an R rating, you will also need to block “adult” programming.
- Movie Rating – This only affects movie channels such as STARZ, Cinemax, and HBO.
- Channel Locks – This will allow you to block specific channels.
- Master Lock – Allows you to remove locks, bypass a lock, or change your pin.
- Adult Titles – This removes titles from adult video programs. The guide will only display the words “adult movie.”
Just a few steps ensure your family’s safe viewing habits. We do want to point out that your pin is exclusive to you and we do not keep a record of your entry. If you do forget your pin, we can reset your settings, but you would have to reprogram your preferences. We suggest keeping your number in a safe spot so that you don’t forget it.
If you have any additional questions about the parental controls, you can call our Customer Response Center at 1-855-853-1483.